Sunday, June 7, 2009

Meditation of the Day

Trinity Sunday

You received a spirit of adoption. (Romans 8:15)

On the eve of his crucifixion, Jesus promised: "I will not leave you
orphans; I will come to you" (John 14:18). Us? Orphans? No parents, no
family, abandoned, alone, uncared for? Few of us have experienced being an
orphan-or have we? Haven't you ever experienced fear or insecurity, anxiety,
rejection, anger, or confusion? In those times, it is easy to identify with
the isolation of orphans.

We know all of these experiences because we are fallen. The loving
relationship
we were created to enjoy with our Father has been marred by
sin, and we became spiritual orphans. But in Christ, we are now restored to
God's family! Jesus has poured out his Spirit on us, enabling us to cry out,
"Abba! Father!" (Romans 8:15). Now we can live assured of being loved and
provided for, even if we have no human family.

In Christ, we are heirs of the Father, brothers and sisters of the Prince of
peace, and beneficiaries of the promised Holy Spirit. So don't accept any
spirit of slavery to fear and rejection (Romans 8:15)! Receive the Spirit of
adoption. Revel in your new status! You belong to Christ, and in him you are
part of an eternal, perfect family!

Oh, approach him with confidence! He loves you, so you can feel free to ask
him for what you need. Let him provide for you-yes, even for the worldly
things. Receive the comfort he delights to give you. Open your heart and
mind so that he might teach you and lead you. Believe St. Athanasius' words
that "the Trinity is wholly endowed with creative power," and that even
orphans can become heirs of the King!

May we all receive the Spirit of adoption!

"Blessed Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, I accept adoption into your
family. I have so many needs, but above them all, I need to know your love.
Today, create more room in my heart so that I might know your love better."

Deuteronomy 4:32-34,39-40; Psalm 33:4-6,9,18- 20,22; Matthew 28:16-20


No comments:

Governor and Voting

I rarely put up political posts but today I will.  Today my son voted for the first time in our NJ primary for governor.  It has saddened me...