Monday, June 1, 2009

Saint of the Day

JUNE 1
ST. JUSTIN

St. Justin was from Samaria. He lived in the second century. His father
brought him up without any belief in God. When he was a boy, Justin read
poetry, history and science. As he grew up, he kept on studying. His main
purpose for studying was to find the truth about God.
One day as he was walking along the shore of the sea, Justin met an old man.
They began to talk together. Since Justin looked troubled, the man asked him
what was on his mind. Justin answered that he was unhappy because he had not
found anything certain about God in all the books he had read. The old man
told him about Jesus, the Savior. He encouraged Justin to pray so that he
would be able to understand the truth about God.
St. Justin began to pray and to read the Word of God, the Bible. He grew to
love it very much. He was also impressed to see how brave the Christians
were who were dying for their belief in and love for Jesus. After learning
more about the Christian religion, Justin became a Christian. Then he used
his great knowledge to explain and defend the faith with many writings.
It was in Rome that St. Justin was arrested for being a Christian. The judge
asked him, "Do you think that by dying you will enter heaven and be
rewarded?" "I don't just think so," the saint answered. "I am sure of it!"
And he died a martyr around the year 166."

How often do I read the Holy Scripture? Let us ask the Holy Spirit to help
us love the word of God and to keep our faith strong. From time to time we
may say this prayer: "My God, I believe in you."

No comments:

Governor and Voting

I rarely put up political posts but today I will.  Today my son voted for the first time in our NJ primary for governor.  It has saddened me...