Sunday, May 24, 2009

Saint of the Day

MAY 24
ST. DAVID I OF SCOTLAND

David was born in 1080. He was the youngest son of St. Margaret, queen of
Scotland, and her good husband, King Malcom. David himself became king when
he was about forty. Those who knew him well saw how little he wanted to
accept the royal crown. But once he was king, he was a very good one.
St. David ruled his kingdom with great justice. He was very charitable to
the poor. All of his subjects were free to visit him whenever they desired.
He gave everyone a good example with his own love of prayer. Under this holy
king, the people of Scotland united more closely into one nation. They
became better Christians.
King David established new dioceses. He built many new monasteries. He gave
much money to the Church during his rule of about twenty years.
Two days before he died, he received the last sacraments. He spent his time
praying with those attending him. The next day, they urged him to rest. King
David
answered, "Let me think about the things of God, instead, so that my
soul may be strengthened on its trip from exile to home." By home, the saint
meant our heavenly home. "When I stand before God's judgment seat, you will
not be able to answer for me or defend me," he said. "No one will be able to
deliver me from his hand." So he kept on praying right up until he died. St.
David died on May 24, 1153.

"Let me think about the things of God, instead, so that my soul may be
strengthened on its trip from exile home."-St. David of Scotland

No comments:

Governor and Voting

I rarely put up political posts but today I will.  Today my son voted for the first time in our NJ primary for governor.  It has saddened me...