Sunday, May 17, 2009

Heart of Matter article--really good!!!

May 17, 2009 by Cheryl

feeling-lousy1

I know I do. Somewhere midpoint through our school year I begin to feel overwhelmed, overburdened and overtired. I have been homeschooling for 5 years and have been both an enrolled and registered home learner. I have tried a variety of curriculum and homeschool approaches. I have gone to homeschool conferences, seminars and meetings. I attend a monthly homeschool support group and have many homeschool friends who have also chosen similar paths - and still, at some point I end up feeling like this guy here. I find I end up saying to myself “Just why am I doing this?”

I found myself saying this very thing one day to a good friend of mine who had the wisdom to tell me, “Yes, why are you doing this? Don’t you remember?” I’ll never forget that conversation, because whenever I find myself repeating those words, I can hear her reply. Her reply changed my thinking. She reminded me of all the good reasons to homeschool and most importantly she reminded me of He who led me here.

Homeschooling came as an interruption to me. I never dreamed I would homeschool, I never gave it a second thought. I was on my way to become an interior designer and was already apprenticing. My plan was, when my daughters would turn school age, I would design full time. I still remember where I was. I was sitting on the computer (of all things) looking for recipes when the thought came into my head,

Maybe you should homeschool.

“What?” I said aloud. Where did that thought come from?

Maybe you should homeschool.

There it was again. Am I really thinking that? I wondered. Could I really do this?

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding Proverbs 3:5

coffee-mug

That was His message to me five years ago, and that is still His message to me today. Of course it wasn’t long before I started asking myself the incredibly stupid question: What will people think? Of course it wasn’t long before I was met with:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. Isaiah 55:8

So when I find myself feeling like the poor guy at the beginning of this post I remember these things - I remember how I got here, and I remember the One who led me here:

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. John 15:16

May You find comfort in Him and may God bless you all in your homeschool journeys.

No comments:

Governor and Voting

I rarely put up political posts but today I will.  Today my son voted for the first time in our NJ primary for governor.  It has saddened me...