Sunday, May 31, 2009

Visitation of Mary

MAY 31
THE VISITATION OF MARY

Visitation means "visit." The Archangel Gabriel told the Blessed Virgin Mary
that her cousin Elizabeth was going to have a baby. Elizabeth was an older
woman. Mary knew that she might appreciate some help. She started out at
once on the journey.
Mary's trip was long and dangerous. It was uncomfortable, too. But that
could not stop her. She rode on a donkey. Mary reached her cousin's house.
She was the first to greet Elizabeth. At that moment, God revealed to
Elizabeth that Mary had become his mother. Elizabeth asked joyfully, "How
have I deserved that the Mother of my Lord should come to me?" Mary remained
humble. She quickly gave all the credit to God. He had blessed her so
richly.
"My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior,"
she said. "For he has regarded the lowliness of his handmaid, and holy is
his name."
What graces the Blessed Mother brought to the home of her cousin! St. John,
while still hidden in his mother's womb, was cleansed of original sin.
Zachary was able to speak again. St. Elizabeth was filled with the gifts of
the Holy Spirit
.
Mary stayed three months at her cousin's home. With great kindness and love,
she helped Elizabeth.

"My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he
has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden, and holy is his name." (Luke
1:46-55)

No comments:

Governor and Voting

I rarely put up political posts but today I will.  Today my son voted for the first time in our NJ primary for governor.  It has saddened me...